Hiring International Students

Hiring International Students

Vanderbilt's international students represent some of the best and brightest management talent from around the world. Their language skills and cultural knowledge are invaluable resources in a global marketplace. They are proven risk takers, adaptable and driven to succeed at the highest levels.

Summer Internships

Most international students hold F-1 visas, making them eligible for summer internships in the U.S. without sponsorship, and with no expense and minimal paperwork on your company’s part. Vanderbilt provides the work authorization; the employer only has to provide an offer letter on official letterhead, including:

  • company name and address
  • position title
  • brief job description
  • starting and ending dates
  • name of immediate supervisor
  • how position is relevant to the student’s course of study
  • whether the position is full- or part-time.

Timing: Students can begin work after the last day of exams, provided Vanderbilt's authorization to work is on the student’s I-20 visa certificate prior to employment start date.

Cost: There is cost to the employer for handling the authorization.

Short-term Employment after Graduation

Students with an F-1 visa who have been enrolled full-time for the previous nine months can apply for a maximum of 12 months of U.S. work authorization through Optional Practical Training (OPT). The student is responsible for all application procedures and fees, so this process is not time-consuming or costly for recruiters. International students are not required to have an official offer before applying for this type of work authorization.

Timing: The student must receive an employment authorization card from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) and can begin working within the dates shown on the card.

Cost: There is no cost to the employer for handling this paperwork. The student pays the filing fee to USCIS to receive the work authorization card.

Long-term Employment in U.S.

Many international students are such strong candidates that organizations choose to sponsor them for long-term employment in the U.S. beyond the short-term OPT period. Though citizenship situations vary, most human resources departments are familiar with the process involved in obtaining an H-1B visa.

Timing: Start date varies depending on the work location.

Cost: The cost to the employer varies depending on company’s number of full-time equivalent employees. Filing fees must be paid by the employer.